This section is accessed via the data input tab within the tax return and is used to enter foreign dividends received. You should add a section for each country from which dividends were received. All amounts of foreign income received and foreign tax paid must be entered in sterling.
Dividends from foreign companies
- ‘Country’ Enter the name of the country from which the dividends were received.
- ‘Claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief’ Tick the box to claim foreign tax credit relief for any foreign tax suffered. If not ticked, foreign tax will be deducted from the income.
- ‘Description of income’ Enter a brief description of the dividend received.
- ‘Gross income arising (£)’ Enter the gross amount of the dividend before any foreign tax or UK withholding tax was taken off.
- ‘Foreign tax taken off (£)’ Enter the amount of foreign tax suffered.
- ‘UK tax taken off (£)’ Enter the amount of UK tax taken off.
- ‘Taxable amount (£)’ This column will show the taxable amount after deducting any foreign tax that is not being claimed via foreign tax credit relief.
- ‘Total’ Taxfiler shows the sum of all entries in each column.
To delete a line from the grid, click the ‘trash can’ icon at the end of the line.