Income from Land and property abroad

This section is accessed via the data input tab within the tax return to add details of income received from land and property abroad. Do not use this section to input details of Furnished Holiday Lets in the EEA; these should be entered in the Income from property section.

When entering income from overseas land and property you can choose to enter each property into a separate section, or you can place all properties from a single country into the same section. Taxfiler will aggregate the results for the tax return form.

All amounts of foreign income received and foreign tax paid must be entered in sterling.

In most circumstances foreign income only needs be declared where the tax payer is resident in the UK for all or part of the tax year. Do not enter foreign income if the tax payer is non-resident as Taxfiler will include all entered income on the return and computation.

Land and property abroad

  • Country’ Enter the name of the country where the property is located. If there are multiple properties in a country then you may choose to aggregate the details into a single section, or enter each property separately. If you have properties in more than one country then use a different section for each country.
  • Number of properties‘ Enter the number of properties that you are including in this section, if you are aggregating property income for a country.
  • ‘Address’ Click Change address to enter the address of the property. The address is not required for the tax return so is for memo purposes only.

Accounting method

‘How are income and expenses calculated?’ select an option from thed drop down list either Accrual (traditional) basis or Cash basis


  • ‘Total rents and other receipts’ Enter the sterling value of all rents and other income, excluding chargeable premiums.
  • Premiums paid for the grant of a lease’ Enter the sterling value of any chargeable premiums or other lump sum payments.

Property Income Allowance (up to £ 1,000)

No allowance claimed against any other properties this year

  • claim relief against property income?’ tick the box to claim property income allowance

Expenses (Excluding finance costs for residential properties)

Expenses will be ignored if Property Income Allowance is claimed. Expenses are added in a grid format

  • Description of expense’ Enter a brief description of the expense.
  • Expense‘ Enter the sterling value of the expense.
  • Private use‘ Enter the sterling value of any private use portion of the expense.

To delete a line from the grid, click the ‘trash can’  button at the end of the line.

Finance costs for residential properties

  • Interest and other fiance costs’
  • Allowable as an expense’ (75% of costs in 2018. 50% of costs in 2019 and 25% of costs in 2020, 0% of costs in 2021)
  • Unused residential finance costs brought forward’

Calculating taxable profit or loss

  • ‘Total expenses including finance costs’
  • Net profit or loss’ This field will display the net profit or loss calculated from the income and expenses. A loss will be shown in brackets.
  • ‘Private use’ This field will display the total private use to be added back to the profit or loss figure.
  • Balancing charges’ Enter the value of any balancing charges arising as a result of the disposal of assets or a cessation of the rental business.
  • Capital allowances’ Enter the value of any capital allowances claimed.
  • Zero-emission goods vehicle allowance’
  • Cost of replacing domestic items in residential lettings’
  • ‘Adjusted profit or loss‘ This field will show the adjusted profit or loss. A loss is shown in brackets.
  • ‘Foreign tax taken off or paid’ Enter any foreign tax that has been deducted or paid.
  • Claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief?’ Tick this box to claim foreign tax credit relief on any foreign tax suffered. If not ticked, any foreign tax will be deducted from the taxable profit.
  • UK tax taken off’ Enter any UK tax withheld.
  • ‘Taxable profit’ This field will show the total taxable profits, before losses brought forward.


  • Loss from excess C.A.‘ This field will show the amount of any current year loss that has arisen as a result of excess capital allowance expenditure. These losses may be used for sideways relief against other income for the year.
  • Excess C.A. offset against other income for year’ Enter the amount of loss from excess capital allowances that should be relieved against other income for the tax year. From 2014 there are limits on the amount of loss that can be utilised for sideways relief; see HMRC Helpsheet 204 Limit on Income Tax reliefs.
  • Losses brought forward from earlier years’ Enter any losses brought forward from earlier years.

Using income losses against capital gains

Firstly, please ensure that you are making the best use of the losses before proceeding. Select the Capital gains tab from the data input screen Click on the Disposals tab, and enter the relevant information Click on the Capital Losses tab, and enter the amount of loss that you wish to set off against the […]

Read More

Restricting access to clients

This feature is only available for multiuser accounts, it has been designed so that you can restrict user access for certain clients if required. Users with “edit client access” rights AND who have access to a client can assign or remove access rights via the Access tab on the client screen. The default is that […]

Read More

User restrictions within Taxfiler

This function is only available for a multiuser license. Some functions within Taxfiler can be restricted from a user. From the SETTINGS icon select Users and select the user that you wish to edit Select Restrictions tab You will be presented with several functions which can be selected or removed via a tick box. For […]

Read More