Use this section to claim Married Couple’s Allowance for the tax year.
For eligibility details please refer to HMRC guidance at: https://www.gov.uk/married-couples-allowance/eligibility
To enter a married couple’s allowance,
- Select the Data input tab
- Select button
- A new window opens, scroll to the bottom to the allowances section and click on Married couple’s allowance
- A new window opens which needs to be completed
Who is claiming MCA?
- ‘Is the client the husband (or higher earner if married after 5 December 2005)?’ Tick the box if the taxpayer is the higher earner (or the husband).
- ‘Name of spouse’ Enter the name of the spouse or civil partner.
- Spouse date of birth’ Enter the spouse or civil partner’s date of birth.
- ‘Date of marriage (if during tax year)’ Enter the date of marriage if it was during the tax year.
If client lived with a previous spouse during the year
- ‘Date of birth of previous spouse’ This is only required where the taxpayer was living with a previous spouse or civil partner in the year that is being filed, enter the date of birth of the previous spouse or previous partner.
Prior arrangements to share allowance
- ‘Transfer HALF of allowance to lower income spouse?’ Tick the box if the taxpayer has previously elected to transfer half of the allowance to their spouse or civil partner.
- ‘Transfer ALL of allowance to lower income spouse?’ Tick the box if the taxpayer has previously elected to transfer all of the allowance to their spouse or civil partner.
Transfer of surplus allowance
- ‘Transfer surplus allowances to spouse?’ Tick this box to transfer any surplus allowance to the spouse or civil partner.
- ‘Or the amount of surplus allowance to claim from spouse’ Enter the amount of surplus allowance to claim from the spouse or civil partner.