Foreign Property (SA900)

This screen is accessed via the data input tab within the tax return. Use this section to add details of income received from land and property abroad

When entering income from overseas land and property you can choose to enter each property into a separate section, or you can place all properties from a single country into the same section. Taxfiler will aggregate the results for the tax return form.

All amounts of foreign income received and foreign tax paid must be entered in sterling.

Foreign property – details of property

  • Country‘ Enter the name of the country where the property is located. If there are multiple properties in a country then you may choose to aggregate the details into a single section, or enter each property separately. If you have properties in more than one country then use a different section for each country.
  • Number of properties‘ Enter the number of properties that you are including in this section, if you are aggregating property income for a country.
  • Address‘ Click ‘Change address’ to enter the address of the property. The address is not required for the tax return so is for memo purposes only. See entering addresses for more information
  • ‘Is income unremittable?

Income and expenses

  • Total rents and other receipts‘ Enter the sterling value of all rents and other income, excluding chargeable premiums.
  • ‘Rents, rates, insurance, ground rents etc.’
  • ‘Repairs, maintenance and renewals’
  • ‘Residential finance costs’
  • ‘Costs allowed as a deduction’ (75% in 2018, 50% in 2019 and 25% in 2020)
  • ‘Other finance charges, including interest’
  • ‘Legal and professional costs’
  • ‘Costs of services provided, including wages’
  • ‘Other expenses’
  • ‘Total expenses’
  • ‘Net profit or loss’

Additions and deductions

  • ‘Adjustment for private use’
  • ‘Balancing charges’
  • ‘Total additions’
  • ‘Capital allowances’
  • ‘Includes enhanced ‘environmentally friendly’ allowances’
  • ‘Cost of replacing domestic items’
  • ‘Total deductions’
  • ‘Adjusted Profit / (Loss)

Chargeable premiums and foreign tax

  • ‘Foreign tax paid on rents etc.’
  • ‘Claim foreign tax credit relief?’
  • ‘UK tax deducted’
  • ‘Premiums charged’
  • ‘Foreign tax on chargeable premiums’

Using income losses against capital gains

Firstly, please ensure that you are making the best use of the losses before proceeding. Select the Capital gains tab from the data input screen Click on the Disposals tab, and enter the relevant information Click on the Capital Losses tab, and enter the amount of loss that you wish to set off against the […]

Read More

Restricting access to clients

This feature is only available for multiuser accounts, it has been designed so that you can restrict user access for certain clients if required. Users with “edit client access” rights AND who have access to a client can assign or remove access rights via the Access tab on the client screen. The default is that […]

Read More

User restrictions within Taxfiler

This function is only available for a multiuser license. Some functions within Taxfiler can be restricted from a user. From the SETTINGS icon select Users and select the user that you wish to edit Select Restrictions tab You will be presented with several functions which can be selected or removed via a tick box. For […]

Read More